Tuesday, June 10, 2014

TOW #30: Letter to a New APELC Student

Dear student,

            I heard you’re taking AP English Language and Composition next year, so I thought I would share some of my advice with you. You might feel intimidated now, but by the end of the year, you will feel fulfilled in the progress that you have made over the course of the year. At least, that is how I felt.
            Going into the year, I felt unsure about my writing skills, since half of the AP test is made up of three essays. Fortunately, between the practice timed essays we did in class and the weekly blog posts we wrote outside of school helped me sort out my weaknesses.
            In addition to working on writing skills, we also read and analyzed famous texts, studied new grammatical structures (or at least the name of some familiar ones), practiced multiple choice, and learned new vocabulary. For me, as intended, it was the culmination of all, or at least most of these activities, that allowed me to enter the gym in May with confidence. I think it’s important to remember one of the major goals in this class when completing an assignment: it’s there to prepare you for the exam. Everything you do in this class is there for your benefit; and the effort you put into it will be reciprocated next spring when you go to take the exam. This is not to say that the course as a high school class does not hold any weight, but I feel like setting the exam as your goal will help you during those times when you feel yourself losing steam.
            Overall, if you do the work with purpose and take advantage of the extra helps Mr. Yost offers, you will find that success is not as far off as you may have initially thought.

                                                                                                            Good luck,

                                                                                                            Walker Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment